According to UNHCR, the UK has 117,161 refugees, 36,383 pending asylum cases and 16 stateless persons.
The UK will accept another 20,000 by 2020
According to the ITN News report tonight, The following numbers have arrived in countries across Europe in just ONE week:
- Croatia: 51,725 adding to a total of 317,990 since September 2015.
- Serbia: 42,907, adding to a total of 363 arrivals since January 2015.
- Greece: 39,054, overall 656,108 arrivals since January 2015.
- Slovenia: 32,240, a decrease of 50% in comparison to the previous week, overall 139,322 arrivals since October 2015.
- Macedonia: 24,386, adding to a total of 214,343 since June 2015.
- Italy: 865 new arrivals, adding to a total of 141,501 since January 2015.
- Hungary: 65, overall 390,929 arrivals since January 2015.
You and I cannot possibly comprehend what it is like to flee your home, leaving family behind, due to war.
Some more information which is the most up to date regarding applications for asylum per country in Europe:
- Germany 260,000
- Hungary 101,000
- Sweden 72,000
- Austria 45,000
- Italy, 69,000
- France 59000
- UK 32,000
- Netherlands 20,000
- Belgium 17,000
- Bulgaria 15,000
- Greece 9,000
I feel quite ashamed that I live in a country who, for their own selfish reasons, does not reach out to those who are in trouble.